T. P Boje's books on Amazon

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Guestpost by Sheila Deeth


Today I have the pleasure of introducing  author Sheila Deeth. She writes about the inspiration for her latest novel Flower Child.

About Flower Child: When Megan miscarries her first pregnancy it feels like the end of everything; instead it’s the start of a curious relationship between the grieving mother and an unborn child who hovers somewhere between ghost and angel. Angela, Megan’s “little angel,” has character and dreams all her own, friends who may or may not be real angels, and a little brother who brings hope to her mother’s world. But Angela’s dream-world has a secret and one day Angela might learn how to be real.
Where to find Flower Child: http://gypsyshadow.com/SheilaDeeth.html#Flower


Where does inspiration come from? A friend of mine says we create it ourselves by splitting ideas and looking for strange connections. Flower Child started with two words from a song—not surprisingly, children and flowers. Threaded between them was a memory of my mother telling me babies grow from seeds; my imagination furnished heavenly flower-filled fields with guardian angels. But that was just the beginning of the tale.
I wrote what I remembered and a character called Megan popped up in my subconscious. Okay Megan, so why are you thinking about babies growing in fields now you’re all grown up? “Because I think it’s true.”
And now I had two ideas again. Why would a mother think children grow in heavenly fields, and what would it be like to be such a child. The connection was quickly furnished by Megan; the babe in question was lost to miscarriage—which reminded me of my own miscarriage and got me talking to Megan in my head again. “But talk to Angela,” says she.
“Who’s Angela?”
Megan’s unborn daughter was quite determined to tell me lots about herself but already I was stuck between two ideas again. Is an unborn child an angel guarding other baby-seeds, or is she a ghost? While I tried to connect those two dots I remembered reading that angels don’t have free will. So how do they fall? Free will and growing up (Angela was growing fast in my imagination) led to thoughts of love. Who does Angela love? And can angels love?
Megan and Angela filled my head with ideas, telling their stories, answering my questions, and gradually leading me up that garden path to the end of their tale. I kind of liked what Megan thought she’d learned when the story was done so I wrote it down, but you’ll have to read the ebook to find out.
Thank you for making me so welcome on your blog Therese. I loved reading the about where you found inspiration for your novel, The Eye of the Crystal Ball—especially where you mentioned flying, as I used to imagine I could fly as a child. I even imagined I had done and touched the ceiling somewhere over the stairs.

 

About the author: Sheila Deeth grew up in the UK and has a Bachelors and Masters in mathematics from Cambridge University, England. Now living in the States with her husband and sons, she enjoys reading, writing, drawing, telling stories, running a local writers' group, and meeting her neighbors’ dogs on the green.











2 comments:

  1. Thank you Therese! The post looks great, as does your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Flower Child and liked what Megan thought she learned, too!

    ReplyDelete