T. P Boje's books on Amazon

Thursday, October 20, 2011

A legal alien in the states

Hi there
First of all I would like to share a thing with you. Someone wrote a blog recently and it made me extremely happy. The blogger had recently read my book and in the blog she tells how it made her think about life and death. That is a great compliment to get as a writer. So I thought I would share this with you.

Eve's fangarden

 Second of all I have been thinking a lot lately. I have been looking for topics to share on this blog, because everybody says that it is important to have a blog, when you are a writer and it is even more important that it is different than all the other blogs out there.

So standing in the line in Walmart today it suddenly occured to me. I am different than all the other writers out there because I am a legal alien. I have only lived in the states for two years. As many of you know I am from Denmark and living here in Florida is very different than living in Denmark in some ways and in others it is not that different. But I really think this country is awesome. I love living here, and I thought I would write about that. How great it is to live here! And I thought that maybe there would be a nice sideeffect to it - maybe it would make you appreciate your country more, cause it is really nice over here. I mean some things are just weird, but you have a way of making everything very easy for yourself. Living is easy over here.

Take for example grocery-shopping. That is one of the first things you notice when you come here as a European. There are extremely many choices. The first couple of times I went to a Publix or Walmart I got almost paralyzed. I would stand for a very long time just staring at all the cereal boxes not knowing what to pick. The choices were just too many! But it is also really nice - once you have a figured a way through the jungle and tried a few brands and found those you like.
And it is so cheap. In Scandinavia and especially in Denmark we have taxes on everything. That makes our food extremely expensive. Latest they have figured out that they needed a tax on fat! Yes you heard me, in Denmark they have put extra taxes on food that contains fat to make them more expensive than healthier food. It is their plan to make people eat healthier that way. I have no idea if it will work or not, but I do not like the fact that we have a society where the government controls what I eat. Plus, we are planning on going home for christmas. I can only imagine how expensive it is going to be. If there is anything in the food you eat for Christmas, it is fat!
Anyway back to the nice big supermarkets in the states where you do not always bump into someone with your cart, because there is actually room to move on and you do not have to wait in line for twenty minutes when you want to pay for it. There is a lot of nice things to be said about your supermarkets, but one thing is really worth mentioning. The thing I enjoy the most. When you check out you do not have to pack your own bags!! That is amazing.You have no idea how stressful it can be to pack your own bags in a Danish supermarket. And if you are not fast enough the cashier will start letting other people's groceries come your way too on the moving belt, and then you have to hurry up and seperate them from each other and hope that your eggs or your bread will not get crushed. Because if they do, it is your own fault, since you have already paid for the groceries and you were just too slow.
And don't even get me started on the service there. It is horrible, but I will leave that for another blog. Anyway, that was just what I wanted to share with you today. Have a great day.

Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment