T. P Boje's books on Amazon

Monday, November 21, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

I might as well come clean right away. I love Thanksgiving. It has to be the best holiday ever invented. There are no presents or stress about buying them. It is not about what I am going to get, it is all about being thankful - so what's not to love about that?
We don't have Thanksgiving in Denmark where I am from, it is a very American holiday, and even though I had heard a lot about it before I came here, it was really something to move here and experience it for the first time. I have on several occasions tried to explain the spirit of thanksgiving to my friends in Denmark, but it is really hard, and I don't think I have succeeded yet and I have a feeling that I know why. Or at least a part of the reason. It is simply not in our culture to be thankful, like it is in yours. We are not brought up to be grateful in the same way that you are. That is just not something that we teach our kids. And I think that is too bad. To put it a little harsh, then we are a very spoiled nation that believe that it is our right to have what we do have. We wear designer clothes and decorate our homes with expensive furnitures and stuff that in my opinion have no value - and we think it will make us happy.
Yesterday I saw a documentary called "America-The story of us" and even though I had learned a lot about American history in school, I have to admit that there is as lot I had forgotten and some I had never heard before. But basically it told me that America was founded on tobaccoplants and that Thanksgiving was originally a feast where the remaining settlers from the Mayflower celebrated with a native American tribe that they had just killed another rival tribe.
That was pretty amusing to me and somewhat barbaric. I have no idea how it got from that to what it is today, but I love the idea of having a holiday to celebrate what we are thankful for. It has been really good for me to experience that, and I would wish that it was a holiday that was celebrated all over the world. Maybe the world would be a better place, at least for one day.
I know I have a lot that I take for granted that I need to remember to be thankful for. I will try to do that while I eat a big stuffed turkey with some of our American friends that have invited us to join them this year. I am really looking forward to that.
What do you have to be thankful for? Comments are welcome :-)
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment